Pages

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Baby bassinets

When I was pregnant with my daughter, I decided that I wanted to have a bassinet for her. I thought cribs were too big, bulky and overwhelming for such a tiny baby. Furthermore, a crib couldn't exactly be squeezed into a small bedroom, or put alongside a bed. I thought bassinets were the perfect choice, because they're small and often portable, thanks to most of them being equipped with wheels.

Well, we were both working low paying jobs at the time, had the expenses of moving and buying the more necessary baby furniture (car seat, stroller, high chair), and so we didn't have room in our budget for a bassinet, let alone the small and often expensive baby bedding that we would need to outfit it.

Imagine my surprise when my husband's grandmother invited us to her house when I was nine months pregnant with our daughter. She gifted us with a bassinet that was filled to the brim with baby clothes, small baby toys and baby books.

I wound up giving away the bassinet to a pregnant co-worker a year later, which coincidentally was just a few weeks shy of me getting pregnant with our son, but it worked out for the best because we were able to borrow a cradle for the first few months of his life.

Now all of the baby things are gone, including cribs, bassinets, cradles and baby bedding. My daughter is turning four in October, and my son just turned two in July. Needless to say, they're both in regular beds - twin beds!

No comments: